Home Care services

HSE Update on Calls to Information Line re Home care services (as of 5pm Tuesday, 14th December)

Following concerns raised in the media in relation to home care services, the HSE has (up to 5pm, Tuesday 14th December) received a total of 102 calls to its Information Line. 11 of these calls resulted in complaints from clients and their families relating to home care services. These are now being dealt with by the HSE to ensure that any issues arising are resolved as quickly as possible and that alternative arrangements are put in place for these clients, if necessary.

The remaining 91 calls were general comments and concerns relating to home care services and reaction to footage shown on RTE on Monday night.

If a member of the public wants to report a concern with a home care service they should contact the HSE’s Information line on 1850 24 1850.
All concerns will be handled sensitively in cooperation with the client and their family.

The HSE Information line can provide callers with details on how to make a complaint through the HSE’s ‘Your Service Your Say’ complaints process (further details below). It can also put callers in contact with one of the HSE’s dedicated Elder Abuse Officers around the country and it can provide callers with access to trained patient advocates who can represent a client or a family in having concerns addressed.

Ensuring that issues are reported by clients when they arise is an important aspect of service improvement and development. The HSE deals with a number of complaints in relation to these services each year and seeks to put alternative arrangements in place for clients who make a complaint.

This year the HSE will spend €341m on home care services which provides services to over 60,000 people including older people, people with a disability and mental health clients. The majority, in excess of 90%, of home care services are provided directly by HSE staff, many of whom are qualified clinical staff. In addition to HSE provided services, services are also provided through a range of voluntary organisations and private service providers funded by the HSE.

The HSE’s ‘Your Service Your Say’ comments and complaints process is available to all through –

  1. LoCall 1890 424 555: Your call will be answered by a staff member from HSE Consumer Affairs.
  2. E-mail yoursay@hse.ie
  3. Complete and submit the HSE’s ‘Your Service, Your Say’ comment card available in HSE services and Local Health Offices.
  4. Send a letter or fax to any HSE Consumer Affairs – details on www.hse.ie
  5. Talk to any member of HSE staff, service manager or complaints officer by contacting the Local Health Office.
  6. Staff can help you put your complaint in writing, if you require assistance.